In 1958, urged by Mr.Priyasena and Sis. Lim Sok Fen, daughter of Mr. Lim Chung Yee from Penang, the Buddhist Association at Sultan Sulaiman Secondary School was established. Later, the organisation was expanded to form the Buddhist Youth Circle.
In 1959, Khoo Teck Meng, Tan Eng Ann, Tan kheng Thong, Chee Peck Kiat, Chew Bee Chuan, Ng Khee Heong, Toh Kim Keo set up the Terengganu Buddhist Association. The address was at the first floor of the Hock Kien Asssociation.
The Terengganu Buddhist Youth Circle was registered on 28 October 1960; same year, Buddhist Association and Buddhist Youth Circle jointly organised the Wesak Parade until 1964.
Terengganu Buddhist Association was eventually registered with Registrar of Society on 13 September 1963. The first Chairman was Khoo Teck Meng, Vice Chairman was Tan Eng Ann, Tan Kheng Thong was the secretary, and role of Treasurer was played by Chew Saw Fong.
Both organisations worked hand in hand again on 7 January 1967 to establish “Bodhi kindergarten” to nurture the children to follow the Buddha’s teaching. It is also the first religious kindergarten at East Coast of Malaysia.
The library of Terengganu Buddhist Association was established on 1978. The Chanting unit was set up on 5 November 1981. In 1982, the price rewards for students was established. In 7 May 1988, our former chairman Poh Joh Song was appointed as the Assistant Marriage Registrar by the marriage registry, Wong Choon Kuan become the second on 24 September 1990, Tay Leng Thye become the third on 2007. 14 January 1994 set up the sutra printing unit to distribute the sutra more effectively. In 1999 the Bodhi dancing class was set up, taught by Tor Peng Kheng, they presented “Sidhatha the musical” in 2000. 28 Dec 2010, they set up Buddhist Art & Cultural centre, to attract more people from the industry to learn Buddhism.
1967, Chan Kim Tong and his wife Yee Yut Ming donated RM 25,000 to purchase the new building at 81, Lot 2896, Jalan Syed Zain, together with others. This form the basis of the Dharma propagation platform.
Both organisations moved into new building in 1971 and it was officially launched in 24-29 May 1972. In 19 June 1973, they bought 80, Lot 2895 at RM49,000. On 4 April 1991, they bought 79, Lot 2894 at RM 160,000.
In 2002, they decided to expand Lot 2894 and Lot 2895 two and a half storey plan. 22 November the engineering works started the new chapter of the expansion plan. At 21 January 2007 the first phase was completed and receives approval for official usage.
The facilities were furnished on March 2011. The new building was launched on 8 July 2011 in conjunction with the celebration of 48th anniversary.
Address：79-81，Lot 2896 Jalan Syed Zain, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu.
Facebook：Terengganu Buddhist Association
Outlook of Terengganu Buddhist Association
Various facilities in Terengganu Buddhist Association. For example, office, Buddhist temple, kindergarten, etc. Also attached a photo of the Buddhist Association Buddhist Youth Group.